Thursday, November 14, 2013

The trip to the past

6 hours of sleep, a very cold wake up (it was +4C this morning when I left New Orleans, before each bridge there is a warning about possible ice...) and gogogo for 3 hours of driving North, first Stop = Natchez. I use the car to its full extent, and the built-in 110 V plug is used to charge the laptop while I listen to the Sat Radio (Sirius something... I wonder what is their economical model, as there is no ad and 200 different radios available without having to change the frequency... it's really nice to have such accessory when driving long distance in the USA). As I'm alone, I can't play while driving with the HDMI port nor the 4 USB sockets (yes we are in a car...) to play a movie on the back screen than can be unfolded from the ceiling...

In Natchez, I stop by the bridge over the mighty river
its old mansions, not affected by the war (this North/South thing is really accurate and vivid here, as fates really have changed with the US Civil war (it can be sometimes funny like this rich Confederate (=South) guy who went in Florida to fight, and his mum provided him with a slave so he would not have to take care of the daily chores... Few months later, he flipped side, and fought for the Union (North), this time without a slave...).


I don't have much time to spend in Natchez, I want to get by Vicksburg (2h30 North) before the closure of the National Park. The journey is going thru the Natchez National Parkway, a road made out of a path created by cattle then used by Native Americans over 400 miles to Nashville. I don't have any picture, but close your eyes, remember "the Dukes of Hazzard" and you will experience what I've seen... Too bad, Daisy wasn't there ;-)

I arrived in Vicksburg (the "key to the South" where a a long siege occurred) just before the Sunset, so I took some nice pictures:
8000 soldiers died in Vicksburg, out of 110'000
USS Cairo, steam boat battle ship sunk by a mine in the Mississippi (Liberty ship before its time, 7 were built in 100 days)


my tank :)

The story about the memorials by each state, worth reading




I'm driving North to Memphis, uploading pictures... from a McDonald's !! :D (I was reasonable: only a side salad without dressing and small French Fries)

More pictures are available HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment