Thursday, May 29, 2014

The most epic start and end of the day ever

Falling asleep at 18h has some advantages, but also some drawbacks... one of them being to wake up at 3h in the morning...
The sulotion I've chosen was to find an activity I could practice early... like a sunrise !
At 4h30 I've started to walk toward the summit of Cerro Amigo via a track used to maintain a set of TV antennas at the top of the moutain. it was steep and muddy, but my will was strong, and I got in time for the 5h15 sunrise.

It was also possible to enjoy the view on the Arenas Volcano from the top, as well as a good rest.



While walking back to the parking lot, a new (stupid) idea rises : why not trying to get back to the top, with the car...
It's steep, so it could be funny to try !

I've managed to get half way to the top with the car, then I staleld... I was quite nervous to slide like a rock on the mud, handbrake pulled and two feet on the brake pedal...
I stopped the car and decided it was not a good day to break the rented Jimny.
I decided to reward myself with a nice and healthy breakfast in Monteverde, to polish the plan for the rest of my day, taking into account the roadworks with closing hours.

- a long drive to Playa herradura, for the lunch. This quiet beach was very hot and desertic, I've enjoyed a lot my lunch there.

- Another long drive to Quepos, the initial aim was to get down to a famous National park, but ticket booth was closed when I arrived. I've decided to enjoy the view from Playa Espadilla for a fruit cocktail
- The clouds started to stack over the coastline, so I've decided to have a dinner in a restaurant using a plane as backbone to shelter me from the evening tropcial rain (it reminded me Thailand). After the World's coolest McDonald, it was mandatory for me to eat in... :) The view over the Pacific was awesome

- After the rain comes the sun the night, and because my GPS told me there was a possibility to cross the mountains straight North instead of bypassing them, I've decided to drive in the mountain. Alone. At Night. After tropical rain (sounds stupid he?). Well, it was. I drove for 2 hours, on a gravelled road, then a path, then a narrower path, then crossing a torrent... I said to myself: I'm the first car to drive here for weeks, all in first gear AWD. At one point, I saw a public telephone booth, so I felt (a bit) relieved, but few klicks later, the path ended... not on my GPS... but in real life, I can tell you yes!
I ventured into a farm land, opening gates, hoping to not face a raging bull. Then it was 22h30, I was in the middle of nowhere (no lights could be seen), in the mountain. I've decided to stop there for the night...
(to be continued)




View Larger Map


No comments:

Post a Comment