Saturday, May 24, 2014

The Journey to Costa Rica

Ryan Bingham: All the things you probably hate about travelling -the recycled air, the artificial lighting, the digital juice dispensers, the cheap sushi- are warm reminders that I'm home

This quote from "up in the air" sounded in my head as I was in the jetbridge to Barcelona... The Nice airport I was about to leave at night was empty, this last flight of the day was a start of a new journey. 


The Barcelona airport, empty when we landed after midnight, appeared to me as a stage for shooting a disaster movie, where everyone is gone.

My next flight being in the morning, I didn't want to go to the downtown to sleep in a hostel, so I found a relatively quiet and not ultra bright place on the North part of the bag reclaim area to sleep directly on the ground. The good thing is that still being on the air side, I wasn't bothered by strangers and I was safe with my bags.
The bad thing is that for 1h30, I couldn't sleep due to the noise of aiport employees moving bags trolley in giant lifts. (for more inspiration, feel free to browse Sleeping in airports.

I must admit I wasn't expecting much from a US carrier (last transatlantic flight with DL was on an old 767 without VOD) but I was honestly surprised by the overall flight on a rather new A330 (damn I love the 2/4/2 configuration), with AVOD, USB to charge my phone and a very decent meal (+unlimited drinks on board), with flight attendants proposing free drinks every 90 minutes.

The flight being bound to Altanta, the home of Coca Cola, this brand was everywhere in the plane, from the AVOD to the plastic cups to drink...


The connection in the US was a pain (or, to be honest, the mandatory immigration process even if you connect to another int'l flight), ATL barely have free public wifi, but it wasn't horrible.
I've spent the second flight (757 to SJO) sleeping and taking pictures of the sunset over the Carribean

No comments:

Post a Comment