Monday, May 26, 2014

The Adventure starts here

La Fortuna is a good base to practice extreme activities, but I'm more in the mood to go and explore by myself,
My first select destination is the Rio Celeste, a river blue because of the (natural) chemicals in it, but once a poet said : "God cleaned his brushes in this river after painting the sky".
But to view this wonder, you have to drive there first ! For the first time I set "all wheel drive", which increased the stability on the gravel covered roads. I took 2 Costa Rican hitchiking, including a "guide" of the national park, but I wanted to get there by myself. The road started to be bumpy and steep, but my Jimny got out of it easily.

Once parked (a "donation" to local school is mandatory, renting boots is recommended), I bought for 10 USD an entrance to the path, and started walking. Rather quickly, you understand why boots are recommended: you've got 15 cm of mud, literally, and the sturdiest hiking shoes will not change anything... It took me a while to reach the point where the river has its deepest blue, but it was definitely worth it !

on the way back, I got D.R.E.N.C.H.E.D... to the bone... (it was the edge of the rainy green season, yes CR tourism office decided to rename the rainy season the "green" one, it's better for marketing purpose...).
After these two days where the sky was rather cloudy/rainy, going on the North West made me realise how strange weather can be here... after few kilometers, I crossed a landscape looking like a decent savannah

I must admit I was very pleased to meet the Sun again... and the deserted InterAmericana where many construction work are ongoing to enlarge it to 2x2 lanes.

I take the opportunity to clarify something: Costa Rican drivers are.... careful (a polite way to say very slow) but this could be explained by the HUGE 18 wheelers that you can find here (and in curvy mountain roads, passing (or just crossing) them is a true thrill...)

After a couple of hours driving under the tropical Sun, I turned right, objective : Rincon de la Vieja National Park. The unpaved road was a nice bonus, and I've reached the Santa Maria Ranger Station just in time to start the hike to a Hot Spring, just for me. On the way, I crossed exaotic and wild fauna and flora, including the famous leaf cutting ants (as soon as there is a small breeze, they are like little sailboats on the ground with their green sails)

Surrounded by nature and literally kilometers aways from the closest member of my species, I've enjoyed the 38C bath like rarely. I didn't want to walk back in the dark so headed to the car and enjoyed a fresh shower at the picnic area.
The Sunset over the station was gorgeous, there is no other word, except the mosquitos...

It was completely dark to drive back to the Interamericana, but the road seemed shorter than on the way up.
Once in Liberia, I ate at the Burger King, and decided to stay in the vincinity to enjoy the other sector of the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. I found a quite area in the suburbs... to be waken up by the Police at 2 in the morning (ÿou can't stay here, it's dangerous). I ended my night in the parking lot behind the gas station...


No comments:

Post a Comment