Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Carribean Paradise

After more than 1'000 kms driven in Costa Rica in a week, and a long Friday on the road, I decided that I deserved some rest, took a long boat for one hour sail on a small river, till Tortugero, a remote Carribean fishing town on a superb beach, famous because of the Sea turttles coming there to lay eggs.
It wasn't the heart of the turttle season, thus I tried to go on a kayak trip on the calm river. too bad, being the only customer, it wasn't possible. Thus I gave up any sport activity, and spent my 36 hours there in my 12 USD/night hotel with swimming pool, direct beach access and breakfast.


I've mixed my time in the swimming pool, reading a book on the hamac, avoid electrocution with the water heater in the shower and taking 49 photospheres of the town, mapping this remote place way before Google eventualy send a street view backpack there.

The town is obiously split in two : where the tourists are supposed to spend their money in any kind of turtle related souvenirs and where the rest o the population live, with a rather simple living standard.
Long time ago a large fishing company had a factory there, but is no longer running: in several places large machinery where hanging there, the plants having colonized what hasn't yet been eaten by the rust.


On the way back, I met 3 French backpackers, and as we were all going back to the capital San Jose, we shared a ride, quite squeezed in the Jimny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment