Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Itinerary

After few searches on the OneWorld Explorer (I'm OneWorld Sapphire till the end of the year, thus I wanted to fly as much as possible on OneWorld metal), I realized that a real Round The World (RTW) ticket on OneWorld Alliance was not matching my needs: 
PRO:  
it's somehow flexible (the city pairs are set, as well as the order of the legs, but you can change the date with a minimal fee up to few days prior to departure : this is convenient when you plan a RTW over several months and you may want to enjoy staying at a place a little bit longer than originally planned, but this feature is pretty useless when you need to fit your trip in 3 weeks...)
CON:
- it's more expensive than buying tickets separately (but then there is no more flight connections guaranteed between tickets)
- it's limited to a total mileage, and that was too restrictive for me

Using my favorite online search engine (I will come back to it later) http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ I've spent hours looking for a good itinerary, knowing my goals (I would not dare to say destination) were to cross the line to change date in the Pacific, spend few days in New Zealand and in the USA pass through the three very large airports (including Atlanta, the busiest airport in the world) : Dallas Fort Worth, Atlanta and Chicago O'Hare.
Buying all the trip in one ticket being prohibitive, I choose to split the flights : a round trip Nice  > Hong Kong, and a kind of Circle Trip around the Pacific (Hong Kong > New Zealand > Australia > USA > Hong Kong)
I'll come back tomorrow to explain how I've chosen the flights

No comments:

Post a Comment